WSA Fall Association Meeting
|Dates:||October 10-12, 2012|
|Location:||Spokane Red Lion Hotel at the Park, Spokane WA|
|Deadlines:||WSA Registration deadline 10/3/11 (late fee $25 after that); Red Lion deadline 9/17/12|
|Registration:||Online Registration Link|
|Fees:||$205 Registration Fee, includes 2 lunches, 2 breakfasts|
|Accommodations:||$87 single, $87 double, $97 triple. Call now 1-800-Red Lion for your reservation!|
|Information:||Email or call Katy Warren at 425-453-1227|
We have some fabulous speakers coming in!
Patrick Mitchell, the Down to Earth Dad. The Down To Earth Dad® is a national organization founded in 1999 to help programs, schools, parents, and policymakers enhance children's cognitive, social, and emotional development -- in the early years and beyond -- and provides tried-and-tested services and products that optimize male involvement in schools, homes, and communities across America.
Patrick has appeared on national television as a fatherhood expert, and on numerous radio programs and has keynoted major conferences and trained thousands of educators, practitioners, and parents on how to optimize significant male involvement for the benefit of children's cognitive, social, and emotional development -- in the early years and beyond.
Dr. Mimmo Parisi and Dr. Steven Grice, National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center, Mississippi State University. Dr. Parisi is a professor and Director of nSparc, and he and Dr. Grice recently released longitudinal data in Mississipi that show that children who attended Head Start continue to score better than their peers who did not recieve services well into middle school. They will talk to us about their study, and work with our members and guests to demystify data and research, discuss how research, practice, and program improvement are intertwined, and help us figure out how we can get similar data here in Washington.
Ted Lempert, Children Now Ted Lempert is the President of Children Now, a national research and advocacy organization based in Oakland, California. He is also a Lecturer in the Political Science Department at UC Berkeley. Previously, Mr. Lempert was the founding CEO and co-founder of EdVoice, a California grassroots organization advocating for education reform and support for public education. California has had great success in advocating for children. Learn about the Children’s Movement of California and how we might replicate it here in Washington.
Tom Sheridan, Legislative Director at the National Head Start Association
And much more!
Also, just a reminder that at the fall meeting we will have a number of association business meeting items to vote on, so please pass this on to those who are coming!
Approval of 2012-13 Budget – will be distributed later
Elections - This fall our WSA Board Openings are for:
- ECEAP Parent: This position is open to candidates who are parents from an ECEAP funded program.
- Early Head Start Parent Representative: This position is open to candidates who are parents from an Early Head Start funded program.
- AI/AN Representative: This position is open to candidates who are parents, staff or directors from a AI/AN (Tribal) Head Start program.
- Head Start Staff Representative: This position is open to candidates who are staff members from a Head Start program.
- At-Large Director : This position is open to candidates who are directors from an Early Head Start, Head Start Migrant/Seasonal, AI/AN, or ECEAP program.
- Click here for Application (requires signature from Director and Policy Council Chair)
- Click here for Board Member Job Description
- Click here for WSA Bylaws
- Click here for a board candidate Fact Sheet that includes some frequently asked questions